What is a computer? A computer is an electronic device that receives and processes information to produce the desired results.
It plays an important role in our lives. Our life has become centered around computers and computerized systems.
Various Parts of a Computer: The various parts of a computer includes a system unit, monitor, keyboard, electronic-mouse, printer, speakers, CD drive, etc.
1. System Unit: The system unit is the most important part of the computer. The system unit houses the CPU (microprocessor), hard disk, random access memory (RAM), motherboard, etc.
- The CPU processes the information.
- RAM stores the temporary information while the system is on. It removes the data as soon as the system is switched off.
- Hard Disk stores the saved information is stored on the hard disk.
- The Mother Board connects and allows communication between various units of of the computer.
2. Monitor: It displays the information. Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitors are very bulky. Liquid crystal display (LCD) monitors are thin and light.
3. Keyboard: Letters and numbers are keyed into the computer system through the keyboard.
4. Mouse: It points the cursor and is used in selecting an icon on the screen.
The other components of a computer system includes speakers, modem, printers, etc.
Computers can quickly process huge amount of data. Computers can complete various tasks more effectively than most human-beings. It has automated complex tasks that were once considered boring and tedious for humans. Hence, Computer has greatly increased our efficiency to do various tasks. The advantages of computer is given below:
- Stores data in digital format: Computers can store millions of pages of information in digital format.
- Huge storage: We can store huge information. The present day hard-disks can store 100s of Gigabytes (GB) of information. Large businesses store their marketing and sales data in their computer systems. Even sensitive data of customers are securely protected in a computerized environment.
- Play games: When it comes to games, the choices are almost unlimited.
- Calculations: Businesses are increasingly using spreadsheets and other software as a tool for performing mathematical calculations.
- Prepare and store official documents: You can use a word processing software to prepare, edit and save any text document. The concept of paperless offices is finally taking its shape. excel- calculations
- Presentations: If your office demands that you prepare presentations, you can prepare it in a PowerPoint.
- Internet: You can connect your computer to Internet and browse through huge data. People use internet for various purposes. Students can use internet to download study materials. A research analyst can do market research over internet. A marketing person can gather relevant data across various geographical boundaries. A prospective customer can find a service provider over internet.
- Multimedia: Computer can also be used as an entertainment device. We can play various multimedia applications such as music, video, etc.
- Prepare books of accounts: With the help of accounting software, we can prepare our books of accounts.
- Reduced cost: The introduction of computer has resulted into a reduction of cost to perform various complicated tasks.
It is true that even computer is not free from defects. The disadvantages of computer is given below:
- Ever changing technology: The technology that is new today, may soon become obsolete. We need to regularly upgrade the hardware and software in a computerized environment. This involves additional time and cost.
- Increased manpower cost: The computer needs to be operated by skilled person. This has led to an increase in manpower cost for organizations. Due to the inherent risks, huge expenditure are made ensure data security.
- Computer stops responding: At times the operating system of the computer may stop responding or functioning. Though this problem is generally solved by restarting the computer, but sometimes you may have to take the support of the technician.
- Viruses: The threat of virus and malware attack always remains in the computerized environment. To cope up with these risks, various anti-virus software are available in the market. If you are using a good antivirus, you are almost sure that your private information and other sensitive data are secured.
- Reduction in employment opportunity: The introduction of computers has negatively impacted the employability of computer illiterate people.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and ArticlesTagged With: Science and Technology
Free sample essay on Computer Technology:
Since the beginning of time technology has helped us out as a human race. From the invention of the wheel to the Internet, technology has been a great factor on the way our civilization has grown. With more and more technological advances just around the corner, our civilization will continue to grow faster and faster than ever before.
Computers make life easier for people everyday. They help us to do tasks quicker and communicate with friends and family with the click on a button. Computers play a significant role in the school system as well. They help students to learn more efficiently and help them do their work. Computers offer the Internet which helps students research information for projects they may have. School computers also offer programs which can help anyone learn. An example of this is the program All The Right Type. This program helps students as well as teachers, to learn how to type faster and more efficiently. Also there are other programs which younger students can go on to help them with developing and reinforcing their math skills and reading skills. Programs like Math Circus and matching the word with the picture. Programs like these make it easy to understand and use computers, yet it also makes learning fun. Computers also make writing and doing homework easier to complete. With spell check and other spelling tools, it makes it easier and faster to complete work. This is because you are not spending all your time going through your homework looking for spelling mistakes, because the computer automatically does it for you, making your life easier.
Further, Computers also benefit the development of fundamental skills. Good educational software enables children to practice and develop a broad range skills. It can help them learn, for example, about shapes, letters, numbers, rhythm, and colors. Good educational software can also help children develop their understanding of cause and effect, procedural thinking, higher order problem solving and creative expression. (www.indianchild.com) Many students have become to reliable on computers however. Many children come to libraries to access the computers and CD-ROM’s rather than to read. Though such computer activities are purported to be educational, there is a fundamental difference between the skills used in reading versus those used to engage in an interactive CD-ROM. Librarians as well as teachers, should guide as many children as possible towards the text books rather than the computer. Emotional skills are also enhanced by using a computer. Children develop self-confidence and self-esteem as they master computer skills and use the computer to make things happen. Computers also develop social skills. In a classroom setting with many other students, or in a home when the students friends or parents are available, children often prefer working with one or two partners over working alone, which leads to the development of social skills.
Lastly, computers benefit children with special needs in the school system. Computers have proven extremely beneficial to students with certain speech, audio, and motor limitations. Students with special needs can use alternative input and output devices to interact with computers and do things that they normally could not accomplish independently. What they can do through using a computer boosts their self-esteem and provides them with a greater sense of control with the world around them and their own individual lives. The Internet– or the information highway — provides them with the best of knowledge for their treatments and they can keep in touch with doctors or friends through out the world with the Internet. (www.indianchild.com) Computer technology will continue to assist special needs students far into the future.
In conclusion, technology only benefits those who can afford it, and not those who can’t. What are poor people or third world countries supposed to do when it comes to technological advances and they have no money? Does it really seem fair that poor people or third world countries get left behind, while other countries move forward in the technology world?
You can order a custom essay, term paper, research paper, thesis or dissertation on Computer Technology at our professional custom essay writing service which provides students with custom papers written by highly qualified academic writers. High quality and no plagiarism guarantee! Get professional essay writing help at an affordable cost.
3.38 avg. rating (68% score) - 13 votes
Tags: computer science essays, computer technology essay, computer technology essay example, sample essay on computer technology, technology essays