In the modern world, the debate on whether abortion should be legalized has dominated discussions for years. While some people see abortion as murder, others believe that abortion should be allowed in the case of ‘unwanted’ pregnancy. This is when the pregnancy was not planned, and the mother is either not ready to have a child, or the birth of the child may pose a danger to the mother and the child. When one participates in this debate constructively, you need to prepare a well-structured essay that demystifies the issues surrounding the abortion issue. Such an essay can be an important tool that people can use to support, or oppose, the issue of legalizing abortion.
A 5-paragraph argumentative essay on abortion should include the following five points:
- The first paragraph should introduce the debate and the contested issues concerning abortion. For instance, the writer should explain who supports legalization of abortion, and who does not. The writer should also give the reasons why people have these differing opinions.
- The second paragraph should explore one side of the debate. For instance, the writer can explore whether abortion should be legalized and whether such action of legalization of abortion will be a violation of human rights, ethics, laws governing the society, and the rights of any specific member of a group of the society.
- The third paragraph should explore the other side of the debate. In this case, the writer should explain why legalization of abortion is vital and the conditions under which it should be allowed. The writer can explain what the repercussions would be if the state does not legalize the issue of abortion and what society stands to lose by having a blanket ban on abortion.
- The fourth paragraph should explore the validity of the arguments that both sides provide. The literature on the issues that the writer raises in support of the issue of abortion and its legalization should be discussed. The writer can use legal arguments as part of its presentation, or, religious arguments to credit or discredit the arguments of both sides of the debate.
- The fifth paragraph should present the facts that emerged in the previously written paragraphs. Since the fifth paragraph is the concluding paragraph, the writer can give his/her personal opinion based on the facts presented.
Why not to try our professional essay writing service designed to help students with writing college essays. Get a custom paper on Abortion now!
0.00 avg. rating (0% score) - 0 votes
Back to blogFeb 21, 2014
Filed under: Essay Help — Tags: 5 paragraph essay on abortion, abortion essays, argumentative essay on abortion — Joan Young @ 8:56 am
Abortion is a controversial topic due to the fact that it touches sensitive issues within the realms of morality, philosophy and ethics. Whether during presidential elections, in a college class, in argumentative essay writing on abortion or simply during a friendly discussion, the debate on abortion and if it should be legal is an ongoing matter similar to religion.
On one side of the spectrum there are people who believe it is the same as committing a murder, while others believe that it is the right of the parent to decide and that as the baby is not born, this does not constitute as a murder. The ongoing debate is a perfect subject for a class or term paper. Writing such type of a paper and its pros and cons is difficult, but not unachievable.
Argumentative Essay on Abortion: Where to Start
In most argumentative essays on abortion, people tend to focus more on their personal belief on the matter, rather than the facts. In order to write an abortion essay that is of value, you should start by stripping yourself of any prejudice and emotion you might have regarding the matter.
Need some help with your argumentative essay on abortion?
Our expert writers can help you!
Being able to evaluate the facts is crucial and while you are free to stick to your beliefs, in your essay you should be consistent with the formality of the style.
The arguments you present should be backed by good factual evidence or philosophical argumentation. With that in mind, depending on the lengths you are willing to go when writing an abortion essays, you should start with research.
How to Do Proper Research
Writing with pros and cons on the matter, you might find yourself in a closed cycle, being unable to find the proper information you need. In most places online you will encounter recycled or false information that will not serve a great purpose in your essay. That's why for an argumentative paper on abortion you should focus on proper sources for your research. These include scientific papers and philosophical thesis.
Depending on whether you are arguing for pro-choice or pro-life you might want to focus on a different spectrum or engage with your writing in a different manner.
The Pro-Choice and Pro-Life Beliefs and How to Present them in an Essay
- The papers that have pros and cons included focus either on the pro-choice or pro-life beliefs. Of course, you might also want to take the middle road and present both side of the argument.
- Be sure to explore the variety of reasons behind the beliefs on both sides of the debate. For example, pro-choice people usually argue about the validity of what constitutes as a living being and whether or not a fetus can be considered as a developing person. Pro-life activists, on the other hand, tend to discuss that even scientific research has proven that in the first ten to twelve weeks the fetus has already started developing a face, arms, legs and more.
- A good way to write an abortion essay would be to check out the arguments of the opposite side of the debate compared to the one you are on and try to make good arguments to validate what you believe in.
- Be sure to keep your argumentative essays on abortion or any similar paper factual, to do your research properly and to make your arguments in a scientific or philosophical manner. This will ensure that our essay writing services and your paper will achieve great results.
We hope that now you know how to write an argumentative essay on abortion. Just remember: you have to make your arguments in philosophical or even in a scientific manner.