148 Cloud St
Sunnybrook NSW 2007
0400 333 888
(02) 9000 1111
Holistic Health Medical Centre
Paddington NSW 2021
Dear Ms Ferguson
Re: Counsellor position, Ref: 30098
I am writing to apply for the position of Counsellor, as advertised recently on SEEK.com.au.
I am an experienced counsellor, with six years of experience in providing professional counselling services. I am currently in private practice and my areas of expertise lie in treating anxiety, depression, relationship issues, women’s issues and health-related psychosocial issues. I previously worked as a counsellor with Meadowvale Community Services, treating clients for a range of complex psychosocial issues.
I also did volunteer work for almost two years with Lifeline, providing telephone crisis support counselling services. This was a life-changing experience and gave me invaluable training and experience, particularly in crisis counselling and management.
I simply love working as a counsellor and am extremely excited at the prospect of getting back into full-time work in a busy practice. I took one year off to have a baby in 2009 and private practice has served me well since then, but I very much miss the team environment and I know that is an aspect of your practice that I would really enjoy. I would love the opportunity to make a contribution, delivering the highest standard of counselling services to your clients while continuing to learn and grow.
I have completed a Graduate Diploma of Counselling and Bachelor of Applied Social Science (Counselling), and am a member of the Australian Association of Social Workers. I therefore possess all of the training and qualifications necessary for the role of counsellor with your practice.
My resume is attached and I look forward to being able to discuss the position with you further.
Mental Health Counselor Cover Letter
Mental Health Counselors provide guidance and advice to individuals and groups to promote mental health and emotional well-being. Types of issues their clients deal with include substance abuse, marital problems, aging, stress management, and poor self-esteem. Specific work activities of a Mental Health Counselor are: helping clients express their feelings, identifying personal issues, collecting information about clients, preventing suicide, maintaining treatment records, providing clients with solutions for dealing with their problems, monitoring client progress, and modifying treatment plans based on client feedback and changes in their status.
Essential skills and qualifications presented in a cover letter for Mental Health Counselor include:
- Counseling expertise and state license
- Empathy and a caring personality
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Stamina and a good level of energy
- Patience and perseverance
- Computer literacy
- Good listening skills
- An analytical approach
Beneath is provided a Mental Health Counselor cover letter example mentioning relevant skills and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Mental Health Counselor Resume Samples.
Dear Ms. Barnard:
When I learned of your search to add a new Mental Health Counselor to your clinical team, I felt compelled to submit my credentials for your consideration. With my proven experience assisting clients in overcoming both short- and long-term mental and emotional issues / disorders, I feel confident that I would significantly benefit your team.
From defining patient goals and conducting initial assessments to building trusting relationships and deftly managing administrative tasks, my extensive experience in therapeutic counseling has prepared me to make a strong contribution in this position. With expertise in supporting adults experiencing challenges such as addiction, mental illness, and psychosocial stressors, my additional strengths in communication and organization position me to thrive in this role.
Highlights of my background include:
- Providing individual, group, and milieu therapy for adults suffering from severe and chronic mental illness, substance use disorders, and co-morbid disorders during 13-year career as a counselor with the Jackson Street Outpatient Clinic in Chicago.
- Administering psychological assessments, designing individualized treatment plans, and leading interventions when necessary in collaboration with family members and staff.
- Addressing a breadth of service and resource needs by identifying and securing resources across the community, utilizing my extensive network of professional contacts.
- Producing documentation for counseling sessions, treatment plans, and utilization reviews while ensuring steadfast compliance with all safety and confidentiality regulations.
- Holding dual Master’s degrees in Clinical Psychology and Sociology from the University of Illinois, obtained in 2007.
With my comprehensive experience in mental health counseling and treatment, coupled with my unwavering dedication to helping those in need overcome challenges in their personal lives, I will swiftly surpass your expectations for this role.
I look forward to discussing the position in further detail; thank you for your consideration.
Mari R. Hong